4.23.2006

Butt Pads (and other things your mother told you not to talk about in public)

Rich has started a thread (conversation) on the yahoo Dragon Boats forum on the ideal butt pad. Answers have varied, from bath mats to garden kneelers to Vaseline to nada…. Feel free to add your two cents!


Message 13
From: "Rich Smith"
Date: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:28am(PDT)
Subject: Butt Pads

I have recently seen some butt pads that had mini suction cups
attached to the bottom. These pads looked home made but I could be
wrong.

My questions are; does anyone know where to obtain those suction cups
(they look like they could be thin shower mats or shelf liners)? Does
anyone have a description of how to construct a good butt pad? Is
there a place one could purchase a good non-slip and comfortable butt
pad?

Thanks,
Rich


From: "nancy wong"
Date: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Butt Pads

Ciao Rich!

Well, I know that some people have already started making it in
productions... but, most of my friends and I have made them at home. You
can find the pad at any camp stores... they're usually used as kneeling
pad and also for sitting. The suction caps is a normal bathtub mat
that you can easily purchase at a Dollar Store (if you have one near where
you live). We usually take the mat, cut it to the size of the pad...
and then, stick-it with heavy duty tap or if you have a glue that can
stick plastic. And da da... you now have a butt pad for dragon boat!
You're butt will greatly appreciate it!

Nancy


From: "Bellaire Family"
Date: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:25pm(PDT)
Subject: Re: Butt Pads

The other thing that I have found works is to wrap non-skid shelf liner
around the kneeling pads. This may not stick to the boat seat quite as
well as the suction cups but it seems to be pretty effective. Think
I'll give the suction cups a try this year when I get a chance.
Waterproof contact cement should work as the adhesive.

Bruce


From: "Marcia Hum"
Date: Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:03am(PDT)
Subject: Vaseline! (FOR ANTI-BUTT PAD USERS)

Have you ever tried putting a wad of vaseline on your butt?

Apparently it helps your butt glide against the seat a little.
Could be a good preventative measure for sores.

One of the girls from the Wong's DB Team (in Montreal) said she puts a
lot on as soon as she feels a potential raw spot coming on.

I would think that putting it on even BEFORE the potential for raw meat
arises would be even better!

I'm going to try that this season... since I'm not a big buttpad fan.

So always keep a jar of Vaseline in the car =)

Marcia Hum d:)
Manager Rehab Ravens DB Team
Wong's DB Team paddler


From: "Tom Atwood"
Date: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:01am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Vaseline! (FOR ANTI-BUTT PAD USERS)

Hello:

I have been following all of this with interest but some confusion.
The best way to prevent butt sores is to wear the proper paddling
shorts. I don't use pads or vaseline or anything else but I do pay
attention to my shorts. There are some shorts that I don't wear
because they do cause problems but I have several different (loose
and tight fitting shorts that never cause problems. BTW...bike shorts
are not necessarily good for paddling depending on where they have
the seams.

So, get good shorts and pads, vaseline, etc are not needed and it is
much more convenient to not have to worry about those extras.

Tom


From: "Fallingup”
Date: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:22am(PDT)
Subject: Re: Vaseline! (FOR ANTI-BUTT PAD USERS)

LOL.it's a pain i the rear is'nt it.butt pads or none,one thing i
learned(painfully)is not to tuck in my shirt.thing was too big to begin
with.tucking it
and the seam ending up or down ,however you look at it,ending up in a
pressure area between your cheek and the seat.same thing with
underwear,with the
seam right on the pressure area.spandex beneath my soccer
shorts.soft,smooth
and sily(sounds like a victoria secret ad)works for me.
carpe cerevisi,
j.jay

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried a butt pad that is made of silicone gel. It adheres to the dragon boat seat and won't slip around while paddling. It is barely 1/4" thick, folds and will fit in the pocket on my flotation device. When I first saw it I was skeptical because of the extreme thinness and feel of the jel, but this butt pad works!! I used it at a DB festival this past weekend and after four races, I'm sold. You can find out more concerning this product and where to get it at: www.gelsport.com . Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!

11:11 AM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

for those of you who use butt pads...don't you find that it's hard to get good hip rotation when you use a butt pad?(particularly the shelfliner stuff most people use)

12:21 AM, May 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home